If you’re thinking of registering a business name, you can use ASIC’s ‘Check business name availability‘ search to see if it’s available.
You won’t be able to automatically register a business name if:
- it’s identical or nearly identical to a name that’s already registered,
- it’s ‘undesirable’ (for example, it’s considered offensive),
- it contains a ‘restricted’ word or expression like ‘charity’ or ‘police’, or
- it includes invalid characters, like umlauts (ä).
When you check to see if your name is available, you’ll get one of three results:
- Green – The name is available and you can apply to register it.
- Amber – You can apply to register the name, but we’ll have to review your application to make sure that it’s available.
- Red – The name is not available.
For more information about the business name availability rules and the tests ASIC apply, visit their website here.