- Both the US and China are optimistic that a ‘phase one’ trade deal will be reached, but subsequent negotiations will likely prove more difficult.
- Tension between the US and Iran following the US assassination of Iranian general Soleimani has left markets on edge.
- The devastation from the Australian bushfires will have a significant impact on economic growth and may prompt further action by the RBA.
- A Conservative Party victory in the UK general election has allowed the government to move ahead with its EU withdrawal bill, paving the way for Brexit on 31 January 2020.
- Recent positive economic news from China has given markets confidence that an economic recovery may be possible.
Read the full Market Update prepared by Lonsec here.