- Globally there were over 85 million confirmed Covid-19 cases at the start of January and over 20 million in the United States alone.
- Democrat wins in the Georgia runoff election will give the incoming Biden administration more flexibility with economic policy and the structure of further stimulus.
- Stricter lockdown measures were implemented throughout Europe, including the move to tier 5 restrictions in England as the UK prepares for its vaccine rollout.
- US-China relations deteriorated as the US began enforcing new visa restrictions on Chinese party officials and investment bans on companies with Chinese military links.
- The RBA minutes for the December meeting revealed the board believes it will take some time for output in Australia to reach its pre-pandemic level.
Read the full Market Update prepared by Lonsec here.